What Is Up With Black Mold?
If you are a fan of home improvement shows, you have almost certainly heard of “toxic black mold,” and with the insane media headlines, who wouldn’t be scared of it? The truth is, there is no such thing as “toxic black mold.” While there is such a thing toxigenic molds (they produce mycotoxins), there is no mold that is actually toxic itself.
Mold is everywhere in our environment, both inside and out, and most folks live their life without ever being troubled by it. While some people do have mold allergies that will make it more difficult for them to handle mold, there are very few reports of mold that involve the hemorrhaging, memory loss, and other extreme effects that you hear about on TV.
Stachybotrys chartarum is what is most closely associated with the term “toxic mold.” It has a greenish black appearance, and while it is not one of the most common molds found indoors, it is not exceptionally rare. As with other molds, Stachybotrys chartarum grows best in a warm humid space, so be sure to take care of any water damage you have quickly, before mold can begin to grow.
No matter what type of mold you suspect in your home or office, you should seek immediate treatment for it. Our experts can determine the type of mold, treat it, and make sure your building has a safe environment for everyone inside. Call SERVPRO® of West Fort Bend County if you have any suspicions of mold in your home or office. 281-342-5326